Pages

Monday, July 21, 2008

What's that you say, Joe DiMaggio...

I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, because "The Graduate" came on at midnight while I was flipping around and trying to fall asleep. It was presented with UNLIMITED COMMERCIAL INTERRUPTIONS, so it took as long to show it as it did to film it. It was fascinating to watch because Dustin Hoffman is so young and cute and has an unusually large nose which makes him seem that he somehow must be related to either my dad or husband.

Oh, and that naughty Mrs. Robinson. So conniving and clever in her matching slip and bra sets. So sophisticated with her weird tiki bottle things that held the liquor in her massive sunroom/bar. "Benjamin? Come over here, Benjamin. Unzip my dress, Benjamin." The first time I watched the movie in my 20s I thought she was horrible and evil and rotten and wrong. This morning, I was totally on her side. Seriously. Can you believe the nerve of that kid leaving her for her daughter? After Mrs. Robinson totally rescues him from his boring-ass summer, he goes on ONE DATE with the dipshit hippy daughter and then... he totally sells out Mrs. R. for a chance at some younger tail. No respect.

The daughter is a moron, although I really like her boots when she's walking around Berkeley breaking Dustin Hoffman's heart. Oh, and she chews with her mouth open, which is gross. Anyway - I fell asleep before the end, but I'm pretty sure there's still a big scene with a bus and a car and a church or something, and Mrs. Robinson not only doesn't get the boy, she gets stuck with a big bill for a wedding.

I'm thinking that future holidays and get-togethers with the in-laws are going to be awkward. Guess that's why there was never a sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails