Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Don't let the bedbugs bite.

In consideration of a leaning tower of deadlines at the job for which I actually get paid, I present you with a bedtime conversation I had this weekend with the 9-year-old.

Pete: Mom, what nicknames did you have when you were little?
Me: Besides "Wondergirl?" They called me Penne.
Pete: No, like “Sweetie” or something. Did anyone call you Sweetie? Or "Honey?"
Me: (Refraining from saying “Shitpot. They called me Shitpot.” Which, well, they really did.) Well, my grandma called us all “Babydoll.” She had a tiny little bit of southern softness in her voice, so it was very nice. And my mom called us Pumpkin when we were little.
Pete: Oh. Because I really like it when you call me “Buddy.”
Me: Well, then. Goodnight, Buddy.
Pete: Goodnight, Pumpkin.

2 comments:

  1. That's the sweetest thing I've heard all week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful- I love conversations like that. Those little people in our lives, they are funny.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails