Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I feel so alone.


When I was a little kid in the 70s, it seemed to me that the world ceasing to exist was a very real problem. I'm sure there were some bright spots in the movies and tv shows released in the day, (Hiya Herbie the Love Bug!), but what stands out most in my mind are the made for tv movies where the earth blows up, aliens mutilate all the cows, we have to eat each other, or all the above. I lived each day as if it were my last, but not in the good way where I was all "Carpe Diem!" It was more a constant looking over my shoulder, peeking through closed drapes, and finding every adult extreeeeemely suspicious. Because very probably, they were just an alien wearing adult skin.

In specific, there was a lovely little film called Where Have All the People Gone? Seems some solar flares made everyone disintegrate and turn to white powder. Well, not everyone. Some people were lucky enough not to be effected by solar flares because they're awesome or because they happened to be in a cave when it happened. So they got to walk around and find piles of white powder in the shape of bodies...still in their clothes. Because everyone knows that solar flares with the power of disintegration do not harm clothes, silly.  I could be imagining this, but I seem to recall someone driving a wood paneled station wagon down a street filled with flat clothes with powder in the them, and then stopping, standing by the open door and screaming, "Where have all the people gone?????"  Also, I'm pretty sure all the dogs were crazy and wanted to eat you.

To this day, I cannot lay out an outfit of clothes flat on a bed without thinking of it.

I bring this up because this morning when I logged into Blogger, I was presented with a similar eerie situation. Every. Single. One. Of. You. was gone.

According to Blogger, I follow no one. Which is sort of bad ass in a Clint Eastwood way, but nuh uh, I do too follow people. But you're all gone.

So, pretty please, keep me from driving my station wagon out into the middle of the freeway and yelling and put a link to your blog in the comments?  And I'll travel around and find everyone else that is connected that I collected over the last five years. After I get done watching the entire movie, which someone has apparently put on youtube.

PS - Huge foreshadowing...in the first two lines of dialog, the mom says, "Doesn't all the quiet make you crazy?"  Dun Dun Dunnnnnnn.

PPS - Huger foreshadowing...the the first five minutes, all the siblings and mom give each other come-hither eyes that kind of creep me out. But could come in handy for the regeneration of the human population.

7 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading you. Fak the blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love sci-fi. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you said station wagon. We had a GIGANTIC bizarro red station wagon in my youth that we named Red baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going super volcano for my end of the world bet. And don't come get me -- my 72 hour kit is all wine and candy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to recall a book called "The Late Great Planet Earth" that scared the crap out of me as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, a new movie to watch. Sounds...interesting. I just read a book called "One Second After" that was very haunting. And way more real than clothes unaffected by solar flares.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have to see this just to see how direct a parody Night of the Comet is...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails